1900 Rockford Post Office
Built by William Yancey Davenport soon after he became the Rockford postmaster, it was located adjacent to his home to serve as Rockford’s post office. This structure later became a cobbler’s shop and then a residence. It was completely renovated in 1984, and updated with new electrical wiring in 1998. It currently is leased as a photography studio and gift shop.
1998: Exterior painting of Post Office Building by Hannah Holyfield and Terre Conner and 4-H teens as community project. Surry Community College professor and electrician class re-wired Post Office Building and brought up to today’s code, also adding outlets and overhead lighting.
2000: Painted tin roof.
2002: Interior repaired, painted, floor sanded and sealed.
2010: Painted interior of building, walls and ceiling.
2017: Repaired the facia board and trim and painted the exterior of the building.
The 1900 Post Office Building is being leased at this time as a home decor store
Next on our agenda is to repair and stabilize the foundation piers. The out building behind the Post Office needs to be painted. Needed funds for these improvements will be approximately $2,000. We will begin these projects as funds become available.